Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Thursday, February 19, 2015

Where Did All the Dirt Go?

I have learned that dwelling on what's wrong in my life is a sure way to magnify small issues into a mountain of issues.

I originally learned this concept in a twelve step recovery program. However, I have a story about how I actually learned this life lesson.


"I had been haranguing my family about how dirty the house was all morning. Shopping at Wal-Mart was the next item on my daily agenda. I left and no one volunteered to go with me -  No doubt because they were happy to be rid of me for awhile! As I drove through the beautiful, sunny day I felt happier and began to look forward to shopping. My focus was no longer on the dirty house. 
About two hours later I arrived home, beaming with happiness and carrying my purchases. As I walked into the house, I noticed that the wood floors were shining and there wasn't any dust on the furniture. I said to my husband,"The house looks nice." He stared at me like I had somehow sprouted a second head from my shoulders. So I said,"Didn't you guys clean the house? It looks nice." Guess what? That house looked exactly like it did when I left. My children and spouse had not done any cleaning."

So what changed? I changed. I wasn't focusing on the problem - a dirty house. The house did not change, my perception of the house changed. My attitude had changed and I saw a clean house, instead of a dirty house. I finally grasped the concept of mentally magnifying an issue just because I was focused on it. A valuable, life-changing lesson was learned that day. 

When I focus on an issue it appears to be larger than life. My mind magnifies the problem into a larger issue than it truly is. Continued focus on a problem puts me out of balance with my life. Instead of looking at what is wrong, I have to look at what is right in my life. The old saying,"Is your glass half empty, or is it half full?" applies to this change of focus, or attitude.

Today, my glass is always full, not half full, but full to overflowing. Why? Because today I am living in a state of thankfulness. Truly, I am just happy to be alive. However, I did not reach this point of thankfulness overnight. 

My attitude was extremely negative when I sought help with my addiction issues. The story I told you happened about three years after I had sought help. Truly, I have spent hours of self-work on changing my attitude from negative thinking to positive thinking. An analogy that I like to use is that my mind is like a garden. 

My mind garden contains flourishing plants of thankfulness, faith, positiveness, and willingness. Despite my best efforts, my mind garden continues to sprout weeds of stubbornness, doubt, and negativity that have to be removed regularly. However, the minute I see a weed sprouting in my mind garden, I yank it out, roots and all. Whenever I feel like the weeds are taking over, I turn to the Master Gardener for assistance.

The Bible contains a wealth of self-work tools from the Lord. The scriptures that I have used the most to develop my state of thankfulness and to enlist the help of the Master Gardener are listed below. 

Proverbs 3:6 NKJV In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Years ago, while I was sinking into alcohol addiction, I found a wall plaque at a yard sale that contained this scripture. I read that verse, and read that verse. In my heart, I knew this scripture was the key to changing my life. However, it is a good thing the Lord is patient, it took me about ten years to finally become willing to turn my life over to Him, or acknowledge Him in all my ways,  and let Him have control of my life, or let him direct my paths

Isaiah 64:8 NKJV But now, O Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay(garden), and You our potter(gardener); And we all are the work of Your hand. (He will pull the weeds from the garden)  

The words and thoughts in parentheses are mine. I took the clay and potter analogy and applied it to gardening.

I have been using this scripture regularly for about eight or nine years. The scripture is also one of my Siesta Scripture Memory Team 2015 verses. I cling to the Lord with these words and continue to let him change me.

Mark 9:23 NKJV Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”

A faith building scripture. 

Mark 11:23 NKJV For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.

Removing doubt is also a faith builder.

Mark 11:24 NKJV Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.

A biblical promise for each of us to claim.

Proverbs 16:24 
Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
I use this scripture when I feel my temper begin to rise. Seriously, I have this scripture on mental speed dial! lol...lol 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB