Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Monday, June 6, 2016

Wrenching, Rejoicing, and Giving Thanks

Grass mowing day....sigh.  A slight cloud of concern marred my otherwise calm and peaceful day. About two weeks ago while I was mowing the last of our 2.50 acres of grass, the fourteen year old mower had started to sputter and hesitate once in awhile. Plus, the leaky gas tank was quite a bit worse. 

A quick, "Lord help me get the grass mowed." and I went outside to mow.

The mower started right up and idled smoothly after an initial "pop" from the motor. While I mowed the first third of the yard, the aging mower ran okay. Nevertheless, the mower motor began to hesitate and surge, hesitate and surge. Quickly, I disengaged the mower blades and headed for the roofed area along the side of our garage. About 4 feet from the shady, roofed area, the mower motor died.
In an effort to keep myself in a positive frame of mind, I thanked the Lord for the beautiful day and asked Him for help in fixing the riding mower. 

I am a problem solver and a mechanically-minded gal. 
Growing up, I loved helping my dad fix our vehicles. At age 17, The United States Navy had been glad to put me into the aviation branch working on jets and helicopters. Consequently, working on a riding mower doesn't faze me much.  

Motors need three things to run - fuel, fire (electrical not flame), and air.
  • So I started with fuel. I knew the motor was getting fuel because the fuel filter had gas in it. In fact, it might be getting too much fuel. I gently tapped on the little black square box on the side of the motor, the fuel pump. I knew from past experience that the little parts inside might be sticking. Next, I checked the fuel lines and found one to be cracked pretty badly. As a temporary fix, I wrapped a piece of gorilla tape around the cracked area.
  • Time to check and clean the air filter. 
  • After that, I checked the spark plug wires to see if they were clean and tight. 
Then I went back to fuel. 
From past experience, I knew the mower wouldn't run well on lower octane gas. Maybe that was part of the problem. Anyway, I loaded up the gas can and drove to the only station in town that has 91 octane gas. After filling the gas can, I drove to the local dollar store  for a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and gas treatment.

Home again, I added about one third of the fuel injector cleaner and gas treatment to the gas can. 
Carefully, I added the treated gas to the riding mower's gas tank. Saying a quick prayer, I sat on the mower and started it. Yes! It started right up and was running smoothly. Right about that time, the hubby came home and I told him I'd had trouble with the mower, but I thought it was fixed now.

Fifteen minutes later, the mower motor resumed hesitating and surging. Dejectedly, I headed the mower back to the side of the garage under the roof.

"Okay Lord, I may not have fixed the rider, but I can finish the side yard with the push mower." I thought in my head.

About 15 minutes later, I had the side yard area grass cut with the push mower. 
"Wow, am I ever out of shape!" I thought to myself as I stood there sweating profusely and dreading the long walk around the house to put the little mower up.

I know this will sound odd, but I thanked the Lord for letting me know that I was out of shape.

Time to go and talk to the hubby. 
Bill is my anchor. He helps me stay calm and rational when I really feel like throwing my hands up in the air and crying tears of frustration. In fact, he usually says, "Why don't we pray about it?" 

Today, I was calm by the time I walked to the house. 
My first words were," I think we need to call the lawn service and have them finish the yard because the mower quit again." Continuing to think and speak at the same time, I said,"I think the leaking tank and the bad fuel line is causing this problem." 

Calmly, Bill said,"Why don't you call the mower repair place and see if they have a gas tank?" To make a long story shorter, I am going to jump to the end of my story.

I am sitting here rejoicing and giving thanks to Jesus for two reasons.

1. I was able to order a new gas tank on Ebay for half the cost of the two quotes I had been given,$26 versus $46, AND the expedited shipping was free. The new tank should arrive on Thursday. 
2. I have been procrastinating about walking again. Today, using the push mower emphasized my need to get back in shape and gave me the motivation I need to follow through. It's time to break out the pedometer and start walking and push mowing! 
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.                     1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB