Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Sunday, September 22, 2013

"Christian Philosophy" by Andrew Wommack and a Brief Look at My Personal Growth

When I sought help for my addiction in 1992, part of my self-examination/recovery process caused me to sift through my ideas, beliefs, and values (my personal philosophy) in search of what I truly believed in.

A Dysfunctional Model

 Many of my situational responses were based on what I had been taught by an increasingly dysfunctional family model that revolved around an alcoholic parent. In recovery, a day arrived when I realized I couldn't use that model anymore. I had to learn a new, healthier pattern of behavior. Seriously, I felt like I was white water rafting without a paddle. Out of control. Lost. My belief in Jesus, a good support system of recovery meetings, sponsorship, and a commitment to sobriety kept me from becoming mired down in depression and relapsing into alcoholism.

What is Christian Philosophy?

So what does this have to do with Andrew Wommack's book? Well, the first chapter, What is Christian Philosophy? caused me to carefully examine my philosophy again. As I read through Chapter One, I kept saying,"This is exactly how I feel!" or "I believe that, too!" Andrew's book helped me see the different threads of my personal faith, beliefs, and values as an interwoven, complete fabric. A Bible-based fabric that wraps up my thoughts, actions, and behaviors as I walk through today.

In Colossians 2:8, Paul says,"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." Paul also told Timothy to,"guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith." (1 Timothy 6:20-21)

A Little of Jesus, A Lot of Sin

Human traditions and the basic principles of this world were my number one priority for sixteen years. I believed in Jesus. Jesus was my savior. He was there to help me in bad times, hard times, and whenever I decided to give him an opportunity. I would tell you I was a Christian. However, my relationship with Jesus was just a small part of my life. There was an emptiness inside me that wouldn't go away. Sin pervaded my life.

 Sobriety Changed My Priority

When I quit drinking, reading my Bible became a more regular part of my life. Gradually, Bible reading, regular church attendance, and sobriety changed my number one priority. In 1994, I knew I wanted to be baptised by immersion and rededicate my life to Christ. A spiritual relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is my number one priority. Prayer keeps me focused on God. My goal is to be more Christ-like. What would Jesus do? is a question that helps keep me on the narrow path.

More Study, Less Chatter

My Christian philosophy changes as I spend more time in bible study and listening to bible teachers. Several years ago, my favorite Bible teacher lost a pupil because of several teachings that didn't mention one scripture. Not one. The "sword of the spirit" is the bible. I want teachers who will help me "sharpen my sword". Paul warned the church at Colosse against hollow and deceptive philosophy and warned Timothy to turn away from godless chatter. Which brings me back to Andrew Wommack's book.

God is #1

Andrew's book encouraged me to review my Christian walk over the last eight years. The review has helped me see the growth and maturity that has appeared since my life became God aligned. God overshadows every area of my life. He is first in all things.


Jesus's Prayer

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
John 17:22-23




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB