Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Lamp Kept Burning by the Oil of the Spirit

Note: I do not know why the gaps are appearing in the commentary quote. My edit copy does not have them.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path!
Psalm 119:105

Coincidence, or God?

Coincidence is a tool, I believe, God uses to catch our attention. Once He has my attention, then He can work through his inspired word to encourage, discipline, and teach me. Within forty-eight hours, Psalm 119:105 has appeared in my daily activities twice. Coincidence, or God? My attention had been caught, so I studied the verse using Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary.

                "... 1. The nature of the word of God, and the great intention of giving it to the world; it is   a lamp and a light. It discovers to us, concerning God and ourselves, that which otherwise we could not have known; it shows us what is amiss, and will be dangerous; it directs us in our work and way, and a dark place indeed the world would be without it. It is a lamp,  which we may set up by us, and take into our hands for our own particular use, Prov. 6:23The commandment is a lamp kept burning with the oil of the Spirit; it is like the lamps in the sanctuary, and the pillar of fire to Israel.

                 2. The use we should make of it. It must be not only a light to our eyes, to gratify them, and fill our heads with speculations, but a light to our feet and to our path, to direct us in  the right ordering of our conversation, both in the choice of our way in general and in the particular steps we take in that way, that we may not take a false way nor a false step
in the right way. We are then truly sensible of God’s goodness to us in giving us such a
lamp and light when we make it a guide to our feet, our path."

Oil of the Spirit

The idea that the word of God is a lamp and that the Holy Spirit is the oil for the lamp really caught my attention. I do not think that I would have made this connection because I only use oil lamps during an emergency. Henry used oil lamps daily.

My Revelation

Wow, that is a revelation. Use the oil of the Spirit to keep the lamp burning daily, not just during an emergency. Daily action will light our path and lead us through the steps we take. The oil of the Spirit will keep the lamp burning, but we have to put the commandments into action.

Food for Thought

The words of a Christian man who lived 300 years ago, 1662-1714, are still pertinent to a Christian today. I see this as proof that the Word of God is infinitely ageless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB