- This Child (Jesus) was born for the benefit of all sinners and believers, from the beginning to the end of the world.
- He is called Wonderful, for he is both God and man. His love is the wonder of angels and glorified saints.
- He is the Counsellor, for he knew the counsels of God from eternity; and he gives counsel to men, in which he consults our welfare.
- He is the Wonderful Counsellor; none teaches like him.
- He is God, the mighty One. Such is the work of the Mediator, that no less power than that of the mighty God could bring it to pass. He is God, one with the Father.
- As the Prince of Peace, he reconciles us to God; he is the Giver of peace in the heart and conscience; and when his kingdom is fully established, men shall learn war no more.
- The government shall be upon him; he shall bear the burden of it. Glorious things are spoken of Christ's government. There is no end to the increase of its peace, for the happiness of its subjects shall last for ever.
adapted from Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary