- Healing our souls takes time
- Life is hard
- We need to get to where we can tell God about it
- Maturity isn't stuffing our emotions
- Maturity is when we let God get to us through and through. We are intimate with Him.
- Be a tattletale to God, then we won't be prone to tell someone else about it
- We can get too busy to sense the tender care of God.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
Luke 10:40-41 NIV
40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,
- Martha said,"Don't you care?"
- Latin word turba means a crowd
- Martha had a crowd in her head
- Maybe your mind is on a hundred different things
- Look at the word worry.
- Word play in the original Hebrew?
- KJV shows the word play more clearly
- Martha says "Doest thou not care?" Christ replies, "...thou art careful and troubled about many things:"
- care vs careful
- Martha meant tender care, concern. Does it matter to you?
- Martha had the personality that would have used a lot of room spray!
- Christ answered back that Martha had care plus anxiety
- What makes us slide into anxious care?
- We are to be anxious about nothing
6 Do not be anxious about anything,but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- Anxiety driven care
- We have authentic care for the people in our lives, but when we slide into anxiety with our care it isn't right
- anxiety is from feeling out of control
- anxiety = out of control
- What issue is causing this for you?
Matthew Henry's Commentary