Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Saturday, May 17, 2014

Jesus Had Drama in His Life Too

A recent post on Facebook started this blog post. A friend of mine in Arkansas posted, "Drama, Drama, Drama!" Many friends posted how they disliked drama and tried to keep out of it. This sparked the following thought for me," What would Jesus think or say about drama?" Hmmmm this thought tumbled around in my head for awhile before I realized that Jesus lived with drama too.

Jesus went home for a visit and guess what happened? DRAMA

 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
Matthew 13:54-58

They Took Offense

No one in that village was going to listen to Jesus, son of Mary, brother of James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas. Jesus comes home and wants to preach a new message and heal people. Get outta town!  Jesus was in a conflict with his whole hometown. Talk about drama. I bet Jesus' family had to endure a visit from every politician, elder, and gossip in town. I can just hear it, " Do you know what your son, Jesus, is doing down at the synagogue?" Then, the brothers had a little conversation with Jesus. Can you imagine the brothers talking to Jesus? "Jesus you are ruining our name in town. No one will buy anything from us. Our business has dropped to nothing! My boss is hinting that he might fire me.  You have got to stop preaching at the synagogue or we are going to be ruined!" Sound right to you? I'm sure you have had a family talk about a family member who is causing the town to talk. Jesus knew the drama wasn't going to quit so he left his family and hometown. Yes, Jesus knew what drama was.

Do You Know...?

Matthew recorded the following conversation between Jesus, the Pharisees, and Jesus' disciples:

1 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2“Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”...Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?” Matthew 15:1-12

Jesus' Social Skills

This conversation matches the definition of drama, "an ongoing conflict between two or more people, such as a continuing exchange of insults or slanderous activity against the person(s)." Do you agree? The disciples wanted to make sure Jesus knew the powerful Pharisees were upset. Did they think Jesus lacked social skills?

 How would you react if your friends asked you this question? "Do you know that S.... was offended when she heard what you said?"

Yes, Jesus knew what DRAMA was. He answered with a parable.


13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” 15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.” 16“Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them.
 Matthew 15:13-16

Jesus was exasperated.  I know he was because of his question, " Are you still so dull?" 
I have thought this question. More than once or twice. How about you? Jesus knew he was doing what God wanted him to do, but he was having trouble getting the disciples to understand his mission.  


How Jesus Dealt With Drama

Jesus dealt with drama by withdrawing from the situation and praying. He does this over and over in the New Testament. Getting away from the crowd, the disciples, the situation, and praying was his response to the drama in his life. Jesus' example is the standard that I want to follow.

 Social media is full of emotion outbursts and drama from people who should know better. Pray for them, clean up your friend list, and stay out of the situation. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB