Prayer Challenge


I want to ask you to say this prayer out loud, if possible.

“I belong to God. I am a holy vessel because I have the Holy Spirit of the Living God. The Lord of Heaven and earth has said to me; “I declare you holy!”. I commit to start believing what He says. I AM HOLY! Remind me daily, Spirit of the Living God, to treat myself as holy, open my eyes to every scheme of The Enemy to treat me as if I'm not. You, God, are Holy. Your word is the truth. This day Father, I chose to believe you! I ask this in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who died on a cross for me so that I could be a coheir to the kingdom of God. Amen”



Sunday, March 23, 2014

Psalm of the Week - Psalm 22:1-11 - March 24, 2014

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish?
2  My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest.
3  Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
    you are the one Israel praises.
4  In you our ancestors put their trust;
    they trusted and you delivered them.
5  To you they cried out and were saved;
    in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
6  But I am a worm and not a man,
    scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7  All who see me mock me;
    they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8  “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
    “let the Lord rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
    since he delights in him.”
9  Yet you brought me out of the womb;
    you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10  From birth I was cast on you;
    from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
11  Do not be far from me,
    for trouble is near
    and there is no one to help.



Four weeks until Easter Sunday. 

My pastor used Psalm 22 in his sermon this Sunday.In verse one, David wrote the exact words that Jesus was to utter from the cross. Below, is a deeper look into the first eleven verses from The Bible Panorama by Gerard Crispin.



"V 1–2: HELPLESS
This Psalm is set in the immediate context of David’s position and sentiments. But it is also Messianic, depicting aspects of the death of Christ hundreds of years before death by crucifixion was known, as if it had already happened. The comments on this Psalm concentrate on the death of Jesus Christ as pictured here. It reflects the submission of the One who has put Himself in a place of helplessness, emptied Himself, and become forsaken on the cross by His Father. 

V 3–5: HOLY
God’s holiness is seen here as in His faithful dealings with Israel in the past.

 V 6–8: HUMILITY 
Beyond David’s current feelings and predicament, we see the self-humbling of Jesus in these verses as a ‘worm’, and not as a man. See the reproach, lies and spite of those who ridicule Him and mock Him. 

V 9–11: HISTORY 
Jesus, the Son of Man, although conceived by the Holy Spirit through the virgin Mary, knows God as His Father in eternity, from eternity and for eternity. In his vulnerable humanity, He seeks divine help."

from The Bible Panorama by Gerard Crispin


Personal Application

God is faithful. He does not forsake his children. God may not answer, but it doesn't mean he isn't there. 

David recalls that God is the Holy One of Israel (and for us) and that his ancestors worshiped Him. We need to remember what he has done for us. Make a list of blessings and/or answered prayers when God seems far away and then praise him for taking care of you. 

Remind yourself when you feel insulted or persecuted that Jesus submitted to mockery and insults wordlessly. He took all of our sins upon himself and died to reconcile us to his Father.

From the time we are born, God is our Father. In times of trouble, ask him to stay near. God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by and visiting today. SalleeB